In 1910 William Dietel, because of his German dialect and educated background, received a call to work as editor of the Fredericksburg Standard and a German language weekly, called the Wochenblatt. In 1922 deciding to go out on his own, Dietel with the help of August Gold, set up their own newspaper and printing business known as The Radio Post which was located at 147 East Main Street and where it remained for the next 62 years.
The Radio Post earned the honor of being the longest running family owned newspaper in the state of Texas. William, his wife Alma and their children, along with several other employees helped run the newspaper until his death in 1956.
Some of the Dietel children continued the tradition after Williams death, Norman serving as editor, Erna took charge of society and other news, and Fred as advertising manager and running the back shop. Alma continued her business responsibilities at the paper as well. Erna’s daughter Karen Oestreich helped along with Fred’s son Dean.
After selling the newspaper to the Fredericksburg Standard, Fred and Dean in 1978 continued the family tradition when they opened Dietel & Son Printing, Inc. located at 105 N. Milam and where they continue to serve the Hill Country offering commercial printing and advertising specialties.